Wednesday, March 19, 2008

North of La Ronge, a slam poem

North of La Ronge (Slam Poetry)


I look at a child

a little native child

and I see the pain in her eyes

so lost so broken and full of fear

she can't eat, she can't sleep

she can't play

nightmares are not true

but why? God where are you?

Questions fill her head unending

like the rain fills the sea

will I get to eat today?

Will my uncle touch me that way?

When will my mom come home?

I feel so all alone!

Day after day she waits

for love for hope for joy

for change, for life, for freedom,

all she gets is neglected, abused

and without food this child tries to live

hateful words

words spoken over her

have an everlasting affect

you're stupid, you're retarded, you will never amount to anything

you're worthless, you're careless, you're impossible

get out, get lost

I don't care what you do

not forgetting, not forgiving

the child tries to live

I see her parents are just as lost, so young

searching for what is true

but all they found was drugs

and alcohol and person who says I love you

but didn't mean it

they as well was like that child

who had those questions and thoughts

but because of lost hope

they couldn't say no to the things that bind them up

I see it, I hear it

each day, everyday

nothing changes

all hope is still lost

my heartaches, my heart breaks

for each child, each person

lost to this false love

lost in the words

my heartaches my heart breaks

for the lost, for the broken

my heartaches my heart breaks

for the lost for the dying

my heartaches my heart breaks

for North of La Ronge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.